Skip to main content

Meeting Mr. Walk This Way

Downtown the other day, after dropping my daughter off to her piano lesson, I headed for my favourite café. Seated in front of the café at one of the outside tables, I noticed the tall lanky man, alone. He was wearing sunglasses.

As I walked by, he nodded a hello and I returned an audible one. I continued on, I heard him speak to me as his gaze remained on the busy vehicle and pedestrian traffic. I turned back “Pardon me?” I asked with extreme politeness, the kind you use when you are terribly uncertain. I am an expert extrovert, thus, quite socialable and have no trouble approaching people and conversation. Nonetheless, I am not accustomed to speaking with homeless people and found myself a bit careful and edgy - out of my element.

“You wear your class right here” he said as he gently and deliberately moved his enormous hand across his protruding forehead. I had no idea what he meant. I asked him “Is that a good thing or bad?” He began an intellectual pursuit explaining class and its purpose and how we all struggle to attain it. But it appears easy to me…

I went in for clarity and said poignantly “Do I appear as a snob?” He shook his head. “No, far from it, far from it.” he repeated and smiled. I thanked him for the apparent compliment, although I still did not really know what he meant. I went into the café. I got myself a juice and headed back outside - it was a beautiful afternoon.

I decided to sit with this man. He was a bit surprised but welcomed me. I told him I wrote about him. He was embarrassed and yet flattered at the same time. He lifted his glasses off of his face as if in an effort to better see me. After listening to me awhile, really listening and nodding his understanding, he explained that should I really write about him, most people would not believe what would be said. I believed him, though I do not know him.

His eyes looked young, free of age lines, and closed pensively when he spoke. His voice remained calm as it filled with passion, and, deep in thought, he rubbed the crease between his eyes with his large thumb. His words were delivered slowly, softly, and with purpose through rotting and rather filthy teeth. His hands did show age - weathered and also quite dirty. His smell was that of the elderly I have spent time with. All combined, it was rather difficult to decide how old this man really was. He could very well have been my age. Then it is my turn to listen. He spoke of spirituality, independent thinking and the right to express one's opinion freely. He spoke of war, oppression and most of all, truth. “It is all a journey; this is my journey.”

It was time for me to go. I stood to say goodbye and in a backwards sort of way, I began by offering my hand and introducing myself. He took my hand, looked me in the eye, paused and then said “Sleep deep in the crease; you are a Mother- the Mother of all Mothers.”




Janet Jarrell

Comments

  1. I have goosebumps! What a story! I'm happy you talked to this man because it shows exactly the kind of woman you are - Actually, I never believed you could be less than an angel. :)

    I'm also happy you wrote about it.

    Happy mother's day to a great woman and such a nice cyber friend. Take care and keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story!

    Sorry, its been a while since I dropped it.

    Please stop by my blog and pick up your award! Hope you like it.
    www.lageanellis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking to this man was certainly an experience to remember for me - and hopefully learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to hear this guy's story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat,

    I did not have the courage to ask for many details on his life - I may have to schedule another meeting.

    Stay tuned on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you may have infused him with a little hope for humanity, too, Janet - by sitting with him and chatting. Who knows, he may not run into many people who are receptive to his attempts to reach out for a kind word, a sincere smile, a healing heart..:) It says a lot about you as a caring person, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Day I Saw Ty Conn

(This is being recalled from a very young mind...) When my father would begin telling a story from his childhood, he would begin with “When I was a little girl…” which would cause an uproar of high pitched objections from my sisters and myself. He would simply smile and continue on, as he now had our complete attention. I started this post at the beginning of November of this year when thoughts of my father return annually on the anniversary of his birthday. This story, however, is not about my father… When I was a little girl, I lived in a small house on Pine Street with my father, mother and three sisters. Ours was a busy, full house. Lisa was the oldest, very beautiful and very bossy. Pam was next, also very beautiful and we envied her fashion sense. I was the third in the line of my sisters, a middle child that cried a lot, made funny faces and was very comfortable at the centre of attention. My little sister, Joanne, enjoyed the status of being the baby in the family. She wa

John Milton on Freedom of Expression

'Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.' In 1644 at the height of the English Civil War, John Milton penned Areopagitica , which is now known as one of history’s first impassioned defences to freedom of expression. Ironically, Milton never delivered this argument verbally, however there was no need, the message was clear; to allow freedom of speech in written form. John Milton may have been more concerned about religion and less with the politics of war; unfortunately, history has seen these two go hand in hand. Thanks to John Milton, and all who followed and fought for the right to freedom of expression. Thank you to all who exercise this right and provide the poetry, novels and the daily news which combined help to map out our history. On Time By John Milton Fly, envious Time, till thou run out thy race, Call on the lazy leaden-stepping hours, Whose speed is but the heavy plummet's pace; And glut thyself wi

AJ Vandrie “Bringing the Outside In”

His work has been described as a ‘balance between two worlds’.   AJ Vandrie grew up in Northumberland Hills with his adoptive family. His background is composed of Ojiway/Chippewa and Irish heritage. He pursued his art studies at the White Mountain Academy of the Arts in Elliot Lake, a school, located in an isolated area in Northern Ontario, sought to combine First Nations and European approaches to art, which was a great fit for AJ. After his first year of studies, he suffered a personal loss, with the death of his birth father and mother who died within a sort period of time from one another. It was at this time that AJ began exploring the art style that he is known for today.   Widely considered Woodland School of Art, this style is synonymous with the artist Norval Morriseau , whose influence is evident in the works seen here. One can find definite similarities between these two artists; style aside, they are both deeply spiritual, sharing, through their art, pers