Skip to main content

Belleville, The Beautiful City

Positively!

I recently attended a concert at the Empire Theatre in downtown Belleville to see the East coast sensation, Jill Barber. The theatre was the perfect setting for this pre-Valentine’s Day show full of fantastic love songs. At one point in the evening, Jill gushed “Belleville, what a romantic name for a city.” This comment was received with mocking laughter from the audience, much to the surprise of Ms. Barber who questioned “Did I say something funny?” I, too, was a bit surprised by the reaction. In truth, Belleville is a romantic name for a city. Do the locals really have such a hard time seeing this city as beautiful, or romantic for that matter?

Focusing on its potential, Belleville has been encouraging and supporting development through many projects such as the Waterfront trail, improving the heart of the city (thank you BBIA) and the new library to name a few. Yes, the latter received some local criticism from the hockey fans looking for another arena; rumour has it your needs will be met soon. This city offers some impressive architecture in the downtown core and is the setting for some really fantastic restaurants. We are grateful to Capers for their social nights, Earl and Angelos for its upscale experience, a new bon vivant L’Auberge de France, and to the staple favourite downtown Dinkle's/Paulo's; and the list goes on.
I offer a thank you to those Bellevillians who share in the knowledge that we are a beautifully romantic City, and who do their best to support Belleville in living up to its name.

Eat well.
Live well.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Day I Saw Ty Conn

(This is being recalled from a very young mind...) When my father would begin telling a story from his childhood, he would begin with “When I was a little girl…” which would cause an uproar of high pitched objections from my sisters and myself. He would simply smile and continue on, as he now had our complete attention. I started this post at the beginning of November of this year when thoughts of my father return annually on the anniversary of his birthday. This story, however, is not about my father… When I was a little girl, I lived in a small house on Pine Street with my father, mother and three sisters. Ours was a busy, full house. Lisa was the oldest, very beautiful and very bossy. Pam was next, also very beautiful and we envied her fashion sense. I was the third in the line of my sisters, a middle child that cried a lot, made funny faces and was very comfortable at the centre of attention. My little sister, Joanne, enjoyed the status of being the baby in the family. She wa...

Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf

Rich in History. High in Achievement. Belleville is home to Sir James Whitney School, one of North America’s oldest schools for the Deaf, opening its doors on October 20, 1870. This past October, SJW held a celebration to commemorate its 140 th anniversary. One of my all time favourite grade school memories was touring this amazing school with my grade six class from St. Michael’s Academy almost 30 years ago. Recently, I was privileged to visit it once more. “The school was founded through the persistent efforts of John Barrett McGann, an Irish immigrant and educator,” says Gary Wheeler, a representative with the Ministry of Education. McGann was a pioneer of deaf education. The school is named after the former premier of Ontario, James Whitney, who was known for his advances in education.  Crossing onto the grounds and up the long circular drive, you can feel the rich history this school and the vast grounds hold. This history includes a self-sustaining community that at...

Uriel's Gaze

I feel You gazing at me What message do You scribe From what divine source do You abide Uriel, sitting with St. Peter, amidst the heavens From Your divine source I shall abide The message You do scribe Feel me staring back at You Janet Still gazing at The NaiSaiKu Challenge